A Travellerspoint blog

Hiroshima-Zoom Zoom in the morning, Action in the evening

Yesterday, I left the hostel at 7:45, am so I could make it to the Mazda Museum at 10:00 am. (I didn't need that much time-I actually arrived around 8:30). But I had an appointment for the museum, which was actually also a tour of the Mazda Assembly Line at their world headquarters, as well as some other stuff, and I was excited.

The Tour started at the main gate, in a their headquarters, which was also a showroom. While I was waiting, I had a cup of coffee at the adjoining Starbucks-like coffee shop, and then looked at the cars in the showroom.

The tour started at 10:00 am, and a bus took us to the museum.

i learned that Mazda started in the 1920's as Toyo Cork Kogyo Co, and somewhere along the way, the last time of the founder, Mazda, became the name of the company. The company started by producing 3 wheel trucks. I also learned the founders 70th birthday was the same day which Hiroshima was destroyed by the bomb.

We saw cars throughout the years, from the 3 wheel truck to the RX7 sports car to the MX5. Mazda proudly had on display their rotary engine, which, according to the guide, unlike other engines which you pistons moving up and down to turn the fuel into energy, the Rotors circle around to process the energy. There we're pictures of the proud designers, and later on, you could purchase key chains and cufflinks on the rotary engine. Mazda was proud of it. The only downside was is that the engine hasn't been used in a car since 2012-too much CO2 emissions.

I learned that Mazda doesn't believe in hybrid cars-they think that there is negligible effect on greenhouse gasses. And all Mazdas have Skyactiv technology, which is a lighter frame, I believe (the guide's English wasn't that great, and she didn't have an easy time explaining things).

We did see the assembly line-which was most interesting. Different types of cars are produced on the same line-SUV's along with the MX5 convertible. We saw workers installing the floorboards, and glue attached to new windshields by robots.


The bus brought us back to the headquarters, and then I took a train back to Hiroshima. I got on a sightseeing bus, and saw Hiroshima castle, which was built in the 600's I believe. (Of course, this is a reproduction). IT wasn't that interesting but there was a nice view from the top. I also saw a Zen temple, with a priest using a rake over sand, which was quite peaceful.


i went to a few stores in downtown Hiroshima, had dinner at a restaurant where you request your order using a machine, and give the receipt to a waitress (very common in Japan), and made it back to the hostel around 9:00.

I BS'ed with the folks here at the hostel, as per many times, over a drink with grapefruit and a lot of alcohol, talking about different countries, when a 30ish looking fellow came to the common area and pleaded us to call an ambulance. He had bad pains in his stomach, and couldn't sit or stand. We didn't know how, as none of us had a local calling card. Another guy went to the convenience store across the street, and called the ambulance.

After about 20 minutes, one came. The people didn't speak any English, but one guy here could translate from Japanese. the guys walked downstairs, and he walked down as well. After that i went to bed.

Posted by DavidPearlman 15:23 Archived in Japan

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.