A Travellerspoint blog

Hue Vietnam-Lazy Day

I woke up late yesterday, not sure what I was going to do today.

I sat on the patio of the hostel, working on my computer. It is nice to have a patio, because there is a sink-i can wash my clothes in the sink and leave them out to dry on the patio. Because it is hot, they are usually dry within a few hours. As I sat up there, two twenty something British folk, a guy and girl, started to smoke and drink beer. They offered me a beer which of course I accepted. They started playing music from their phone-Earth Wind and Fire. They are big disco freaks.

After a while, I walked out into the heat, and walked across the river to the market once again, where I enjoyed some tropical fruit. I then headed for the pagoda, which was a few kilometers down the road. I was tired of walking through the heat-so I saw a park by the river complete with a shaded covering, and trees with beautiful purple flowers. The grass was a bit overgrown and there was some garbage, but otherwise the park looked like an inviting place to sit in the shade. Nobody else was there. I laid down on a short brick wall. It was relaxing. But I felt some reason why I shouldn't be there-and I knew the reason already (from travelling a lot). From the corner of my eye, I saw animals scurry up a tree. I thought it could have been squirrels, but as i sat I get a clearer vision and saw two rats climbing the tree. IMG_2242.JPG

I walked up, and continued walking in the heat. I found the corner of the citadel, which is the very edge of old town, and walked around it and through. I stopped for lunch at a place with a crate for tables and stool for chair, in front of their house. In fact I used the bathroom, which was in their house. The food was good.

I continued walking through the citadel, I learned I went the wrong way to the pagoda, but I kept walking and i think I found it-it was more of a Buddhist temple with women praying. I kept walking back to the market, and watched the fruit sellers. I then went back to the hostel and took a nap.

After a while, I went down to the first floor of the hostel-so the owner could help me with transfers from my hostel the next day in the next city of Hoi An. We talked-I found out he learned English in school-but like Japan, it was only writing and no speaking-so he never picked it up. Then he worked at his aunt's hotel in the city-where he leaned more English from a tutor. He told me that he rented a room near a factory where a lot of ladies worked. The owner was able to connect him with the owner of the factory, which is how he met his wife.

After that, I went out for dinner and drinks with Mr and Mrs disco from the morning, We sat on the porch, and played more Bee Gees, Wild Cherry, and other disco-and then went out for more drinks.


Posted by DavidPearlman 18:00 Archived in Vietnam

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.