A Travellerspoint blog

Vietnam-Slow Mekong Delta and Fast French Football

Yesterday, I took a day tour to the Mekong Delta, which is south of Ho Chi Minh City. The descriptions of Mekong Delta seemed to indicate it was a beautiful place with lots of greenery, but that isn't really what I saw.

The tour comprised of a full day in the Mekong Delta-which comprised of a few different activities.

- The first stop was a bathroom break at a Bamboo and coconut museum/shop-where we we're encouraged to make lots of purchases from everything from towels to bamboo toothpaste. We we're here for about 1/2 an hour.

- The second stop was to get off of our van, and onto a boat that took us across the muddy river. We went to a cabin on one of the islands, which was surrounded by all sorts of developments, where we ate dragonfruit, mango, pineapple and watermelon. The dragonfruit and the mango were good, while the pineapple and watermelon didn't taste ripe. We also had coconut tea, and listened to some entertainers singing traditional music-they had looked bored.


We then waited to board canoes which took us down the muddy river-except the rain started to pour, and it poured hard. We went down the muddy river, with lots of towns on the side. The canoe took us to another island, where there was a bee farm. The tour guide picked up a square full of honeybees, and we all posed for pictures-and we had a cup of honey tea. I also posed with a big python.

Then we got back on another boat-to another island, and had lunch. The lunch was free, and it was pretty good. We we're supposed to stay on this island for a long time-and have activities such as riding a bike or relaxing in a hammock, but the rain precluded all of that-so there was none of that. There was the activity of crocodile feeding. There was a crocodile pit, and we we're able to buy a meat patty, and using a fishing rod-feed it to the crocodiles. Many we're teasing them. It was sort of funny-as the crocodiles wait expectantly for the food with a big smile on their face.


After that-we took the bus back to the mainland-and stopped at a Buddhist temple. I have seen many Buddhist temples, so this was another one. Then we got a bus back to Ho Chi Minh. During the time of the trip, I discovered that the key to my padlock at the hostel was missing. I also found out that a button on my camera wasn't working-probably due to keeping it in the rain for too long.

I wasn't happy-as in the past few days I lost my cell phone, and part of my electric toothbrush. But I took the bus back and took a nap as soon as I got back.

i awoke for the nightly free beer at 7:00 pm. I went out for dinner to the main street-walked a little, and found a cheap dinner for $1.25 at some place on the street (my favorite-with crates as tables and foot stools as chairs). As I walked back, I met some of the guys from my room-a few British folks, one from Brazil and one from Sweeden-they we're going to the bar street to watch the big world cup match-and I joined them.

The street was absolutely packed, millions of people it seemed we're watching the game. We tried to get into a bar, we finally did-and watched the game there. EVERYONE was for France it seemed. I don't know why. Vietnam was a French colony, and they fought the French for independence-now they we're celebrating France's victory.

I walked around mulling about the crowds, and got back to the hostel at 1 or 2 am.

Posted by DavidPearlman 19:09 Archived in Vietnam

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.