A Travellerspoint blog

Holiday in Hong Kong

Yesterday, I took the ferry to the Hong Kong Island side. Other then meet a friend at 5, I really didn't know what I was going to do that day.

On weekends in Hong Kong, many service workers are off from work, and they go out to relax-many hang out in the plazas of the ultra modern office towers downtown-so the plazas are filled with flattened-out boxes where these folks camp out for the day-sort of like homeless people-but these people aren't homeless-they have food made at home, and have picnics in the office towers. From what I understand-the living quarters are so cramped they go to the office towers to hang out, and have picnics.


The first thing i did after breakfast was take one of the double decker streetcars-I am a streetcar/subway buff so that is what i did. i took it to a place called Happy Valley, as how could anyone go wrong with a place called Happy Valley. I rode the streetcar approximately 1/2 an hour to Happy Valley, through the busy streets, passed other streetcars heading in the opposite direction, and I finally got there. I didn't find Happy Valley particularly happy-just another busy neighborhood. But it did have a race course, and I found a good lunch nearby at a cheap price.


After Happy Valley, I took the same streetcar back to the central part of the island, which was the downtown area. Here I wandered around for a while, up and down the hill, just looking at stores and shops. I ran into someone from the hostel I was walking around, a girl from Shanghai who was here getting some type of treatment. She insisted on walking up and down the streets very quickly, phone in hand using Google maps, so she wouldn't miss an attraction. That's not how I roll-I walk around slowly, looking at the different people, taking breaks when I want, staying as long as I want. I don't rush, and pretty soon I was left behind.

Before I knew it the time was 4:00 pm or so-almost time to meet my friend Raki at the park. I met Raki two days before, when I went up to the top of the peak at Honk Kong. She is Filipino, and works in someone's home-taking care of the house and dogs. When I saw her she was watching Tofu, a big furry dog, and some others. We decided to hang out later, so I met her and her friends at Tamar park, overlooking the harbor. There we're literally hundreds of people in park, largely Filipino, having lunch on blankets for Easter. (i don't think too many celebrate Passover). I couldn't find Raki at first, as the park was huge. I did come across a few ladies playing and singing to guitar, so I decided to sit near them, and see if i could aceess my wifi to contact Raki. I sang along to what they played (First Nothing's gonna stop us now, by Starship, and then Two less Lonely people in the world, by Air Supply).
They gave me some Sangria to drink and some type of noodles to eat for Easter. Then I got a picture texted from Raki, showing she sitting by an orange and blue tent. I found out that wasn't too far from where I was sitting, so I joined Raki and a whole bunch of her friends, and ate, drank some beer, and joked around. We sat around until after dark.
Then basically we packed out. It turns out that Raki and a bunch of her friends had to get back to their houses for curfew. Yes-many home workers have to be home by 8 or 9 oclock in Hong Kong-by order of their bosses. I found if sort of ridiculous that grown adults have curfews but that is the way it works in Hong Kong with service workers.

I then walked around a little, and took the ferry back,


Posted by DavidPearlman 17:10 Archived in Hong Kong

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.